Adopting During COVID-19
Throughout these unusual times we are still operating the best we can while abiding by the protocols put out by the government. Our furry friends still need to find their forever homes!
Our adoption paper work process will be digital for the time being. The application and contract will be done via email. PLEASE read 'How to Adopt' below to ensure the process is completed properly.
Meeting an animal will be done Monday to Friday between 12:30pm and 3:30pm to ensure there is no overlap with our Animal Care Attendees. Dog meet and greets will be done outside in our yard. If you are coming into our shelter to meet the cats we ask you to touch as little as possible. The shelter is sanitized after each visit.
We ask that anyone who is coming for an adoption meet and greet follow the COVID Protocol:
- You have not traveled in the last 14 days.
- You have not come in contact with an individual who has traveled in the last 14 days.
- You are asymptomatic.
- You have not come into contact with some one who is showing symptoms of any kind.
Please be honest. Our staff need to remain healthy, as our animals need them!
How to Adopt!
- Fill out the relevant adoption application and email it to email@example.com
- If there is a specific cat or dog you are interested in, please specify in your email. You do not have to have a specific animal in mind to submit an application.
- If you do not own, ensure you have approval from your landlord. During these times many rental companies and landlords are being overwhelmed with calls. If you can provide an email in addition to their phone number that will be helpful for us.
- You will hear back from our Adoption Centre Manager within a few days of sending your application in! If approved, we will plan a time for you to come and meet your cat or dog of interest!
**PLEASE NOTE - Due to the high volume of applications at this time incomplete applications will not be considered. If you are seriously interested in adopting please submit a completed adoption application by email and include any additional information about yourself or what type of animal you are looking for in the body of the email. Any emails without applications attached will not count as adoption applications.
Some important things to keep in mind when considering adoption:
- Cats can live to be 25 years old and dogs can live to be 16-17 years of age (sometimes older in smaller breeds). Adoption is a lifetime commitment. Please consider life events that could occur during this time (a new addition to the family, moving, new behavioral issues arise etc).
- Vet expenses. Going to the vet should be an annual event. Yearly exams and vaccines will ensure your companion stays healthy and lives longer. Emergency expenses or changes in health can be costly. Pet insurance or creating a savings account for your cat or dog are good options. When you take on a furry companion you take on their well-being as well as their company.
- Training. This is directed more to dog-adopters, but cats can benefit from training as well. Always be prepared to have to train. All dogs are unique and will need to work on something. Training can be daunting, but there are always solutions. View training as a bonding activity with your pooch, it can be fun and you both learn from it! We have trainers at the centre that are more than happy to help you!
- Adopting is a life-changing choice