Want To Become a Foster?
Interested in becoming a foster home for a dog or cat in need?
Dedicated foster homes are integral for supporting our furry residents that need a little extra love and care, and who are not thriving in the shelter environment. This means that we need qualified individuals who are skilled with scared or reactive animals that have had a lousy start in life. Other animals need fostering because of health issues that need consistent monitoring, or routine administration of medications. The Bow Valley SPCA will provide all necessary supplies, and will cover the cost of food, cat litter, medications, and pre-arranged veterinary appointments. Fostering costs nothing!
Please note that we do not put highly adoptable animals into foster homes, as it decreases their exposure and unnecessarily increases their length of stay. We are not a foster-based shelter, so animals available for foster are only those that need qualified and committed individuals to work through specific behavioural/medical issues. There are many foster-based rescues in Calgary and surrounding areas, which may be a better fit if you are wanting to foster an animal ASAP, as it is infrequent that we place animals into foster.
- Please fill out our foster application, and make sure to indicate whether you are interested in fostering a cat, a dog, or both!
- Note that applicants must live within the Bow Valley - Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Exshaw, Lac Des Arcs, Harvie Heights, Kananaskis, and Dead Man's Flats - and that vet appointments/supply pickups will be at a Canmore vet clinic or our Centre.
- Once you have submitted your application, you can expect to receive an email within a few business days with an update on the status of your application.
- Before fostering begins, we will require a police criminal record check. Details will be provided if your application is approved.
- Open Paws training will be provided for those selected to foster a dog, and must be completed prior to bringing a dog into your home.
- Please review our animals currently available for foster, and feel free to indicate your interest in a specific animal upon approval of your application. Likewise, we will reach out if we feel we have an animal that would be a suitable fit for your home.
Thank you so much for your interest in helping out our dogs and cats that need some extra love and attention!
*Please note that if you are interested in adoption, please fill out our adoption application instead*