Animal Care Attendant - Not Currently Hiring
Position: Animal Care Attendant
(Part-time) Starting at $15.00/hr
Job Description and Duties
Serving as the permanent part-time animal care attendant, on location, at Canada’s first no-kill, no-cage adoption centre in Canmore, Alberta, you will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day administration and operation of the adoption centre, focusing primarily on hands-on animal care. Reporting directly to Adoption Centre Manager, you will support the successful implementation of policies and directives established by the Board of Directors.
General Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Supporting and as required overseeing the daily shelter operations including:
- ensuring the safe and humane care, feeding, exercise, general sanitation and cleaning of all dogs and cats
- offering superior customer service
- adherence to all BVSPCA policies and procedures
In cooperation and coordination with the Adoption Centre Manager, specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Intakes and Adoptions
1. Greet public, answer questions about operations, mission, mandate and available animals in person, and over the phone
2. With instruction from the Adoption Centre Manager in their absence, oversee the coordination and authorization of intakes and adoptions
3. Work with animal behaviourists, vets and volunteers to assess and evaluate animals for overall health/wellness and temperament
1. Communicate clearly with the Adoption Centre Manager, Administrator, and other Animal Care Attendants via written and verbal communications
2. Answer general inquires via phone
Feed, Clean, Exercise and Care
1. Ensure volunteers/staff obtain and follow current guidelines, policies, and procedures with respect to safety, care, feeding, exercise, general sanitation and cleaning
2. Ensure safe and appropriate animal care and handling in each situation
3. Ensure all shelter personnel are thoroughly trained in the safe and humane methods of animal handling, particularly for those animals that are frightened or aggressive, and that all animals are handled as gently as possible and with compassion.
4. Daily monitoring/assessment and tracking of animal health and behaviour.
Supply Inventory/Repair & Maintenance
1. Maintain accurate inventories of food, litter, medicines, vaccines, cleaning and office supplies on hand
2. Sort donated goods
1. Support a safe, clean, and healthy environment for Bow Valley SPCA cats, dogs, volunteers and public.
2. Support the adherence to all Bow Valley SPCA policies and procedures
3. Support the Adoption Centre Manager and volunteer team in establishing and maintaining a positive presence in the community