How to Volunteer
Interested in getting involved as a Volunteer at the Bow Valley SPCA?
- Your first step is to submit an application form (Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age), Click here
- Next, enrol in, and complete, our on-line Volunteer Orientation Program within 4 weeks of submitting your application form, Click here, (Note: please email email@example.com if an extension is needed, to avoid this account being deleted).
- The program fee of $25 includes a volunteer t-shirt, which you will receive during an onboarding session
- Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Check are required (details will be provided at the completion of orientation; this is free of charge for new community volunteers through the RCMP detachment, in the town where you reside).
The success of the Bow Valley SPCA depends significantly on community volunteer involvement and effort; we are proud of the large volunteer base of highly engaged animal advocates who form the foundation for our non-profit operation.
We are committed to providing care and protection for stray and abandoned cats and dogs. We have an animal wellness focus, provide education to prevent cruelty and promote humane attitudes towards animals, throughout the valley.
A successful volunteer base includes individuals with a wide range of skills, abilities, interests and experience – what can you bring to our organization?
Our Volunteer needs vary over time and throughout the year, below please find just some of the roles that we typically need help with, in normal times:
- Ambassadors, both at the Centre & within the community
- Animal Care Attendant Helpers
- Cat Cuddlers/ Kitty Care
- Centre Greeters - front desk duties, providing a warm welcome to visitors, fielding questions, accepting donations etc.
- Dog Walkers (Open Paw training is a pre requisite, following new volunteer orientation)
- General Maintenance/ Poop Patrol/ Yard work
- Presenters for our educational programming in schools, the Centre, and other suitable venues
- Community engagement initiatives, such as visits to seniors care home facilities with dogs &/or cats
- Recycling – bottles & cans from on & off site, plus Centre items (paper, plastics etc.)
- Special events planning and execution
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.